Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Garden Visit

I loaded my Prius with three friends from here at Vantage House and we went into Washington DC to visit one of the 15 most beautiful gardens in this area.  This one was at the Franciscan Monastery.  Here are the garden photos to enjoy.  The tour of the sanctuary and catacombs will come in another posting.





Lots of statues of St. Francis of Assisi.






We missed the rose display by a week or more.






In the shade gardens.








Here's the sanctuary.





8 comments:

Tom said...

...WOW, what a gorgeous garden. Thanks for taking me along.

Gosia said...

In each country Franciscan gardens are fantastic, Love from sunny and stormy Europe

doodles n daydreams said...

Lovely gardens Marcia.

Diana

Cynthia said...

Too bad you missed the roses but there was still plenty of beauty to enjoy. I'm a big fan of St Francis so I enjoyed seeing how him in the gardens. Beautiful mosaic ceiling, too. Looks like a fun day out.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

just amazing. i am always so shocked at the work it must take to keep similar gardens looking so lovely ... i enjoy all the blooms. so lovely. have a happy 4th. ( :

Dina said...

Shalom Marcia. Wow, so this is the "Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America"? The name is almost as long as that really long cloister walk. An American friend just did a silent retreat there and sent me pictures of her hermitage; but I've never seen the rest of the buildings or the garden, so thank you for sharing your nice photos.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Now that is a place you could spend some time in

Bonnie K said...

Beautiful. I can't wait to see the other gardens. Thanks for the visit.