Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Cruising the Rhine Gorge

One of my favorite parts of our river cruise on the Rhine was the morning we traveled through the Rhine Gorge.

Here is how The Daily Cruiser, the daily newsletter we found on our bed each night, described this stretch of the river.

"Today's cruise surely will be a highlight of your trip as we will cruise through the Rhine Gorge, famous throughout the world for its castles.  No other river in the world has a greater concentration of castles or castle ruins than the Rhine, especially between Koblenz and Bingen.  You will see steep slopes, many covered by vineyards and dotted with castles and picturesque villages such as Boppard and St. Goarshausen.  While cruising through the Rhine Gorge, we also pass the famous Lorelei Rock, located in the narrowest and deepest stretch of the river.  There are many stories about the Lorelei, so be sure to be on the sun deck when your cruise manage tells the tale and provides activating commentary about the many sights along this famous gorge."

Sit back and enjoy your virtual cruise.





























































The last castle ruins is one we hiked to in the afternoon after the ship docked in Rudesheim.  More on that hike in another post.

7 comments:

Tom said...

...beautiful architecture, endless photo ops!

Elaine said...

Wonderful! You must have been exhausted at the end of it, so much of interest to see and absorb. I thoroughly enjoyed that tour - thank you.

Fun60 said...

So much to see. Hope the boat was going slow enough for you to have a good look at everything.

Betty W said...

Stunning!! Really very interesting and each castle must have their own stories. Do you get told them on the cruise? I hope I get to do this some day.

Terra said...

I love the castles and churches and buildings with turrets in your photos. Years ago we took a cruise in that area of the Rhine and this post brought it back to mind.

Stewart M said...

I've never done a cruise like this, but it does seem that you get a great view of thinks. So much easier than driving I would think!

Sorry its taken me so long to visit, things have been pretty hectic here!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Kay said...

It's so much fun to see your photos, Marcia. I do recognize a bunch of these castles. And I see you took a photo of Loreley too.