Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Locks of Love

I am sure you've heard of the tradition of placing locks on bridges and then throwing away the key.  I believe it started in Paris though the bridge there had to remove the locks because of the weight and what that was doing to the bridge fencing.


In our travels along the Rhine we saw some of these locks.


In Cologne our tour guide took us across a bridge and we returned on the other side.  One side had fewer locks then the other.  The tour guide said he'd put a lock on there too.



In Basel the bridge railing did not lend itself to attaching a lock but the door to this monument on the bridge did.


Have you attached a lock somewhere?

[We saw locks attached to a bridge in Harper's Ferry, WV too.
See that here scroll down to the last photo.]

3 comments:

Tom said...

...I've never seen this locally, it's a great idea.

Cynthia said...

I know in some large world cities they have caused a lot of problems as the locks are heavy and eventually tear down the fence they are attached to. It's quite costly to have workers cut them off time and time again. It makes me think of the fad of carving names and initials into trees and other wooden things. It might seem fun but it's also destructive.

Stewart M said...

I can understand why people do this, but its not for me!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne